Saturday, August 06, 2011

Ghiradelli's ultimate double chocolate cookies

This is the recipe I think I'll head to in future when I want a really really chocolate-y homemade cookie. No contest here. I first made it a couple of years back in my uni days and promptly forgot about them ever since.

Recently, Sis and I were at home, both craving for something chocolate-y.I flipped through my well-worn copy of sweet treats that I've baked throughout the years, my eyes settled on it straightaway. I remembered how chocolate-y these were. Perfect.

Ghiradelli's ultimate double chocolate cookies



These were so good that I immediately made a second batch a few days later. They taste awesome eaten plain, paired with a glass of cold milk or even used for ice cream sandwiches. Rich, chewy and fudgy in the middle and a slight crunch on the sides. This will probably be a good double chocolate cookie to keep within a recipe book.

I happened to have some Ghiradelli 60% dark chocolate chips in the house and I used them for the first batch. It tasted really really good. For my second batch, I had ran out of Ghiradelli chips, thus I used Lindt's 65% Madagascar dark chocolate for the base, and chopped up a bar of Lindt's milk chocolate as "chips". It was good, but the original batch with the Ghiradelli's was really better in my opinion, it somehow tasted richer and chocolat-ier. If you happen to have the Ghiradelli's 60% chocolate chips, I recommend using that instead of other brands of chocolate cos it really does make a difference.

Ghiradelli's ultimate double chocolate cookies (Adapted from Bake or Break)
~ makes about 32 cookies 

108g Ghiradelli's 60% bittersweet chocolate chips
28g unsalted butter
1 tsp instant coffee
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 large egg
45g brown sugar
30g granulated sugar
13g all-purpose flour
1/6 tsp baking powder
100g semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup hazelnuts (roasted, chopped)

Melt bittersweet chocolate chips and butter in a microwave.
In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick. Stir in chocolate mixture.
In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in semi-sweet chocolate chips and nuts.
Refrigerate dough for at least an hour, or overnight.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line baking sheets with baking paper and set aside.
Drop dough into equal sized portions (heaped one teaspoonfuls) onto baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes (11 for soft chewy cookies or 12 for slightly crunchier cookies). Remove from oven and cool on baking sheets for two minutes. Remove from baking sheets and place on cooling rack. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

9 comments:

  1. Mmm yummy!  I love chocolate cookies in any form and these do look like they need a tall glass of cold milk to go along with them =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are uber chocolatey. i enjoy them best with milk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies look amazing! Love chocolate everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my the combination of hazelnut and SO MUCH chocolate looks fantastic, makes me salivate really! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Стела ПейчеваSunday, August 07, 2011 4:21:00 pm

    Mmm, delicious!!! I love cookies with chocolate:).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Стела ПейчеваSunday, August 07, 2011 4:22:00 pm

    Mmm, delicious!!! I love cookies with chocolate:).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Стела ПейчеваSunday, August 07, 2011 4:23:00 pm

    Mmm, delicious!!! I love cookies with chocolate:).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle! I made these today but they turned out really thin, and the dough was very runny, is this the way it's supposed to be? The end product looked more like your cookies in this post http://vintagetrinkets.blogspot.com/2009/04/396-lost.html rather than the ones pictured above.

    I thought that I'd also let you know that I really enjoy reading your blog! Always looking forward to more posts from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi there! hmmm ure so sharp eyed! that was the exact same recipe i did way back. but for this post, the only difference i think i made was to refrigerate the cookie batter overnight before baking. Oh and I scoop  balls of the batter onto the tray, bake them for 7 min, then open the oven to smoosh them down a bit with a spoon and cont baking. hope u try and see if it works! :)

    and thanks dear! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...