Saturday, January 19, 2013

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Coconut Brown Butter Muffins

I've previously made these muffins before, but decided to revisit this recipe again to see if they were as yummy as I remembered.

Dark chocolate, raspberries and toasted coconut

As always with recipes, I tend to modify things around if I'm making it the second time round, and this is no different. I'm lately in a coconut spiel at the moment, and to this muffin batter, I decided that I will add some toasted coconut to add more flavours to it. And I like my muffins healthier, so I sub a quantity of the plain flour with whole wheat pastry flour. And, while I'm at it, why not use browned butter instead of plain melted butter? We all know that browned butter adds so much more flavour and depth to baked goods than regular melted butter. Right? Right.



Here's my modified version of the recipe, and I can say that these are honestly quite scrumptious and decadent (look at the amount of chocolate!) for breakfast. A glass of cold milk, or a cuppa black coffee should do wonders to complement the sweet muffin.


Dark Chocolate Raspberry Coconut Brown Butter Muffins (adapted from Bourke St Bakery recipe)
(makes 13 muffins)

200g plain flour
66g whole wheat pastry flour
pinch of salt
3 tbsp coconut, toasted
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
200g sugar
320ml buttermilk
200g unsalted butter, browned
2 eggs
150g dark chocolate, chopped
150g raspberries
raw sugar (optional)

Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Sift the flour and baking paper into a bowl and add the sugar, mixing well to combine.
Brown the butter in a saucepan over low heat, then remove from the heat and whisk in the milk.
Whisk the eggs into the buttermilk butter mixture to combine.
Add to dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Use a large spoon to gently fold through the chocolate and raspberries.
Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops with raw sugar.
Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C and bake for 20-25 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. The combination of these flavors sound really great together! Hmm.. chocolate, raspberry, and coconut! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...